Wednesday 8 August 2012

The Athlete

My head knows something
That meant so much to me
But my heart won’t see fit
To let go and set me free

They say never walk
In anyone’s shadow
But I’m walking in my own
I always will, head to toe

But this thing so important
As my sense of touch
Should be something
That don’t mean as much

It’s like there’s this guy I know
Looks athletic, fits the mould
But the game passed him by
As age took hold

I was made to do things
With my hands and a ball
But if I can’t play as I used to
I don’t want to play at all

It’s cruel that I still know
How to do what I always did
When my body reminds me
I’m no longer a kid

I know that being an athlete
Does not define who I became
But it made me who I am
It’s much more than a game

I prayed for one more year
To hold on to all I’d known
Realising like every other
I was not alone

I hope to be at peace
Accept it was simply a phase
A single chapter of many
As brief as my playing days

1 comment:

  1. Just a reminder Nick that you and Jeremy Simms are the two smoothest route runners I've had the pleasure of throwing balls to! Anyway, I'm going to take up golf!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a positive message if you like any of my writings.